Tulips signify the return of Spring and every year I can’t wait until the first flowers emerge from the cold ground. A few years ago I learned Western Washington was a major grower of tulips. I had to see the fields.

They don’t disappoint. Acre upon acre of vibrantly colored flowers has a tendency to turn visitors giddy. I couldn’t help notice everyone in the fields was overly cheerful.

The Skagit Valley is an easy drive from either Seattle or Vancouver. Print off a map of the tulip fields, pack a picnic lunch, and in an hour and a half, you’ll be surrounded by Springy tulips.

Stop at a roadside stand to take some with you. They don’t come any fresher than this, and at $4.50 a dozen, they’re a steal.

My flower-loving daughter talked me into five bouquets!

Do you also like daffodils? They’re here too!

But come soon, tulip season won’t last much longer.

Related posts:

22 Responses to Fields of tulips in Western Washington

1. Rosella D. Rossetter says:

BEAUTIFUL!! Thank you Nicole.

2. Krista says:

Absolutely stunning, Nicole!! I really do need to take a trek down there and see them. :-)

3. It’s such a shame that tulips are short-lived. They really brighten a place up when they’re in full bloom. Tulip season has been and gone here. Those fields look absolutely amazing. I’m not surprised everyone was cheerful! :)
    Julia

• Nicole says:

Hi Julia! I didn’t know tulips grow in Turkey too! Maybe it’s the short lived season that makes us appreciate them so much. But I don’t know, I think I’d go more than once a year. :)

4. Tuula says:

Oh wow, these are gorgeous!! I had no idea…more than worth the trip & these beauties look like they would rival the finest in Holland – simply lovely!

• Nicole says:

Tuula, I thought all tulips came from Holland before we moved to Washington! It’s nice we can see them in more than one place in the world! :)

5. Andrea says:

Just gorgeous!! I love tulips but have never seen fields of them like this – all the same colour in one block as well.
    Andrea recently posted..Montevideo’s Locks Fountain

• Nicole says:

I love how where the fields change color in the distance, it appears as just a stripe. A vivid stripe, but still a stripe. :)

6. Stunning colour and photos! How awesome to see them up close!
    Corinne @ Gourmantic recently posted..Bécasse- Quarter Twenty One- Sassy’s Red- Din Tai Fung and More- Westfield Sydney Taste Tour

7. So beautiful! I’d love to see these tulip fields in person, but will settle for these gorgeous photos for now.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Boston from the Rooftops

8. Don Faust says:

Nicole – we were about a week early in Skagit for the tulips. It’s hard to time if you are booking a hotel, but next year I think we will just make a long day trip of it. We only saw one small field that was in bloom, but we saw lots of daffodils!

BTW – do you network with some of the Seattle travel bloggers? See “Seattle Travel Happy Hours” on Facebook.
    Don Faust recently posted..Photo Friday- Angel Statue in Rome

• Nicole says:

Hi Don, Bummer! At least you got to see the daffodils! It seems the end of April is better than the beginning of the month, I think. Thanks for the tip about the Seattle travel bloggers, I’ll check it out! :)

• Don Faust says:

Yeah, it was kind of a bummer. I was all psyched with my camera gear to capture all kinds of shots – got lots of yellow daffodils though! We were told around mid April was the best, but I understand things were a bit late this year. We were sponsored on that trip, so we were locked into that date.

I see you found your way to the Seattle Travel Happy Hours group. Welcome! They normally have Wednesday happy hours – the group probably shows up on your home page now, so you can keep an eye out for dates, – normally from Shannon or Kelly. It’s a mixture of bloggers, foodies, writers, etc.
        Don Faust recently posted..Island Eating- Celebrity Chef Cooking Competition

9. Gorgeous! I love fields of tulips.
    Christy @ Ordinary Traveler recently posted..Round-Up of Favorite Travel Blog Posts 051311 5

10. Theodora says:

I’d never thought of Washington as home to tulips. What an eye-opener. Lovely pictures, too.
    Theodora recently posted..The Great Hot Springs Disaster