“Do you know where we can get a nice crusty baguette?” I asked the gal working at Golden Glen Creamery.

“You’re going into Edison, right?”

“I don’t know. Where’s Edison?”

“Just up Farm to Market Road a couple miles. Breadfarm is there. That’s where you get bread.”

“Breadfarm. Okay. So I’ll just find it if I go to Edison?”

“Yeah, you won’t miss it.” She laughed. “The town is tiny. And if you’re interested in lunch, Farm to Market Bakery so good. They always have something hot, and sandwiches, and the best pastries.”

“Pastries would be good.”

“Oh, and if you have time, The Lucky Dumpster is a great little shop, even just to browse. Check that out too.”

“The Lucky Dumpster? Okay.”

We headed north, passed a herd of grazing cows, and drove straight into Edison. Farm to Market Bakery begins the town. She was right, there was no way to miss it.

“Let’s just stop in and see if they have anything that looks good,” I said to my kids.

They did have things that looked good. Many things.

Like shitake, fresh mozzarella and herb quiche…

And this lime-soaked polenta cake.

It took willpower to walk past Tweets, the coffee shop, and Slough Foods, the little wine and food market, but we only had so much room in our bellies. We did pop into Breadfarm, since that was our whole reason for coming to Edison.

Their breads looked fabulous. To avoid tough decision making, we stuck with our plan: a crusty baguette.

Then we ate our lunch on the picnic tables in the Farm to Market Bakery garden.

It was the perfect picnic. The crust of the quiche was flaky and buttery, the eggs were from neighborhood chickens.  The baguette went perfectly with the cheese and butter we’d just bought from the creamery. I love fresh lime juice so I was very happy with a lime-soaked cake.

Afterward, we browsed The Lucky Dumpster.

Their facebook page says, “The Lucky Dumpster is dedicated to providing the conscientious consumer with quality products made from recycled materials,” which I think sums it up pretty well. Tons of great stuff in there, from vintage cameras to re-fashioned t-shirts, handmade stationary, and decorative knick knacks.

The telephone pole outside the store wore a cozy crocheted blanket.

And how could you not love a town with a Longhorn Saloon?

The tiny town of Edison (population: 144) has so many good eats, it could warrant an overnight trip. Or a dependable cooler to load full of goodies.

To visit Edison (and you should, with a thirsty palate and a hungry stomach), travel north on I-5 from Seattle 65 miles to exit 231. Turn right onto WA-11 N. Drive 5 miles and turn left onto Sunset Road. Turn right onto Farm to Market Road, and in about a mile, you’ll run into Edison, Washington.

Related posts:

Tagged with:

18 Responses to Edison, Washington: the perfect tiny town

1. Rosella D. Rossetter says:

Great little story Nicole! The photos and all remind me of some of the places we visited on Lopez Island. Nice outing you had.
    The food sounds wonderfull, too.

2. jade says:

Cute! I have to admit- I have never heard of this tiny town… but it seems like a really fun place to go eat!

3. I love small towns like these
    Zablon Mukuba recently posted..Volunteering abroad in a Hindu community

4. Don Faust says:

Sounds great! I’ll take the lime-soaked polenta cake. The description reminds me a little of all the tiny towns west of Philadelphia, where 100-200 people live per town. It’s a big Amish area, and they do some awesome baked goods.
    Don Faust recently posted..Napa Valley Weekend- Yountville

5. That lime-soaked polenta cakes looks really good!
    Chili ~ Lime ~ Garlic recently posted..Eat Corn in Less than 15 Minutes

• Nicole says:

There was a woman in the bakery asking about shipping some polenta cakes across the country to a relative. That’s when I knew what to order. :)

6. Andrea says:

Love quirky tiny towns like this…Lucky Dumpster sounds like a great place to poke around
    Andrea recently posted..Awash in Salt- Photos From Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia

7. Theodora says:

How sweet. And how great it can sustain a bakery and all.
    Theodora recently posted..The Emptiest Landscapes on Earth

• Nicole says:

I was thinking the same thing when we were there, Theodora. And not just one bakery, but a dozen small businesses. Pretty cool!

8. Krista says:

What a fantastic little town to visit, Nicole! :-) I love quirky little places like this. :-)

9. Jeff Jung says:

I’d stay just for the polenta cake!
    Jeff Jung recently posted..Women Walking Inside Taj Majal Courtyard

10. Sally says:

Such a lovely little town! The Longhorn Saloon was great – $1.00 oyster shooters, yeah! So good, as was the mixed seafood platter. :)