I’ve been quiet here lately.
I took a break from blogging to focus on writing Immersed, the book.
Then I got stuck and wasn’t sure how to fix it.
So I read and researched.
I dissected the chapters of Blood, Bones and Butter to see how another writer wrote her memoir.
I read parts of Don’t Stop the Carnival, again, to read a (fictional) story of a Caribbean hotel operator.
I took notes while watching Secretariat to analyze scene transition and found there are many different ways to tell a story.
I made spreadsheets recommended in The Weekend Novelist Re-Writes the Novel (I highly recommend, even for non-fiction story telling) which helped me reorganize and find the purpose of my book.
I read the scene from A Million Little Pieces in which James Frey describes dental work done without novacaine for an example of raw and intense emotion (even though it’s not all true).
I think I know where I’m going now with Immersed. I’m finding my way. And I really want to keep to my word and publish this book before year end.
Writing this book is one of the most challenging (and time consuming) things I’ve ever done.
I love every bit of it.
Do you have a favorite memoir or travelogue?
Receive new posts by email!
- Help me make decisions about my book
- The Innkeeper is open!
- Then and now
- Finding my way
- Across the cafe table: at the beach
- My 7 links
- Salmonberry pancakes
- At the sea under the moon
- Lunar eclipse
- Carrying water
- Edison, Washington: the perfect tiny town
- This moment part 2
- Golden Glen Creamery
- This moment
- Big white ball
Facebook Like Box
Tagsadventure alternative energy aviation bathrooms beach Black Bottle blogging book Brian Durbin camping caribbean Caribbean food coffee connecting cooking cooking schools costa rica diana mccaulay dinghy experiential travel flying food Grantourismo hawaii HomeAway Holiday Rentals island japan Japanese food kauai kids Nicaragua off the grid Petit Byahaut photography restaurants road trip san juan islands Seattle seattle restaurants St. Vincent & the Grenadines sustainable travel travel travel memoirs Washington State writing
- Still a few seats left for tonight's Coyote Central Guest Chef Tuesday: BLACK BOTTLE http://t.co/tHZaYuwg Come support youth in the kitchen! 2012-10-09
- @racheljmac Thanks for the follow! I SO want to go to Zanzibar. And Ethiopia. Looking forward to following your stories. :) 2012-10-09
- @jonclinch Congrats on deciding to self-publish The Thief of Auschwitz. And thank you for leading the way! 2012-10-09
- Books, authors, Seattle! RT @RonCharles Amazon isn't the whole story: Feeling bookish in #Seattle http://t.co/Yt6kyXsQ 2012-10-09
- Just followed. RT @gatespoverty A 13 Year Old Mother in Tanzania Shares Her Story on Pinterest: http://t.co/8PyIbICP #DayoftheGirl 2012-10-09
- More updates...