Hi, I’m Nicole Durbin.
When I was a teenager, I dreamed of living on a tropical island beach. I actually became obsessed with the idea. It took sixteen years for me to board a plane bound for my Caribbean island dream life, and when I did, I thought I’d struck gold, that we were finally starting our Happily Ever After story.
But living on a remote Caribbean beachfront opened my eyes beyond the ideal of a visual paradise. I learned that the places farthest from paradise often offer the most rewards. Living on that beach made me want to do more, see more, and especially, engage more.
Today my family lives in Seattle,Washington. The skies here are often gray and it rains a lot, but many Seattlites think this is paradise.
My husband, Brian, who dreamed of the Caribbean with me when we were teenagers, is the chef in our restaurant partnership. We co-own with our business partners Black Bottle, Black Bottle Postern, and The Innkeeper.
And I spend my days with our kids, immersed in the world.
Find out about my upcoming memoir, IMMERSED, Life at a Secluded Beachfront Resort here.
My email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Receive new posts by email!
- Help me make decisions about my book
- The Innkeeper is open!
- Then and now
- Finding my way
- Across the cafe table: at the beach
- My 7 links
- Salmonberry pancakes
- At the sea under the moon
- Lunar eclipse
- Carrying water
- Edison, Washington: the perfect tiny town
- This moment part 2
- Golden Glen Creamery
- This moment
- Big white ball
Facebook Like Box
Tagsadventure alternative energy aviation bathrooms beach Black Bottle blogging book Brian Durbin camping caribbean Caribbean food coffee connecting cooking cooking schools costa rica diana mccaulay dinghy experiential travel flying food Grantourismo hawaii HomeAway Holiday Rentals island japan Japanese food kauai kids Nicaragua off the grid Petit Byahaut photography restaurants road trip san juan islands Seattle seattle restaurants St. Vincent & the Grenadines sustainable travel travel travel memoirs Washington State writing
- Still a few seats left for tonight's Coyote Central Guest Chef Tuesday: BLACK BOTTLE http://t.co/tHZaYuwg Come support youth in the kitchen! 2012-10-09
- @racheljmac Thanks for the follow! I SO want to go to Zanzibar. And Ethiopia. Looking forward to following your stories. :) 2012-10-09
- @jonclinch Congrats on deciding to self-publish The Thief of Auschwitz. And thank you for leading the way! 2012-10-09
- Books, authors, Seattle! RT @RonCharles Amazon isn't the whole story: Feeling bookish in #Seattle http://t.co/Yt6kyXsQ 2012-10-09
- Just followed. RT @gatespoverty A 13 Year Old Mother in Tanzania Shares Her Story on Pinterest: http://t.co/8PyIbICP #DayoftheGirl 2012-10-09
- More updates...