It’s The Travel Belles second “Across the Cafe Table” discussion and I can’t help but join in. This month’s question?
What’s in your travel beach bag and your ideal beach would be where?
Some of you may know I have a thing for beaches. The beach is where my husband and I decided to get [...]
Years ago, when Brian grew tired of the usual “We’re going to move to a Caribbean island!” conversation, he’d bring up Seattle.
“I could live in Seattle,” he’d say.
“No way,” I’d say. “I could never live without sun.”
We lived in Colorado and although it was far from the Caribbean, it was blessed with at least 300 days of sunshine a [...]
Fishermen throw their nets out on the lake,
And they soon have their catch.
Women wash laundry on concrete tables set up in the water,
But the beach is not theirs alone.
Cooling off (and often bathing) is done in the lake,
And friendships are easily made [...]
We tried to order a mojito but there was no mint, we were told. We asked if they could make a naranjita, but there was no rum. A margarita? Nope, no tequila.
“What could you make?” Brian asked.
“We can make a caipirinha,” our waiter said confidently.
It had been a big day. We’d ridden a ferry across one of [...]
Ocassionally we find hidden coves along the Washington coast and my mind always drifts toward, “If only we could stay for a spell…”
Usually I envision myself perched on a rock, drawing or painting my surroundings, something I never take time for. At Dead Man’s Cove, I imagined myself taking up poetry writing. Such an ominous name begged for words.
There’d be so [...]
This was our first taste of the Caribbean. It was 1993 and it was our honeymoon.
What enabled us to afford this indulgence at such a tender age was our good fortune of getting bumped from a flight the year before. Truthfully, it was those generous travel vouchers we received that sparked talk about marriage in [...]
Twelve years ago this week, Brian and I went to Costa Rica.
We were midway through figuring out how to make the dream a truth and we were craving a research trip. We found a piece of paradise at Bosque del Cabo.
Located in the southwest corner of the country, in the rainforest [...]
This island dream has filled my thoughts for embarrassingly too many years.
The funny thing is, once we got to our dream island, I began to conjure up all sorts of new dreams. Ideas that could be combined with our life on the island and ideas that were separate.
Those ideas are still floating around [...]
Receive new posts by email!
- Help me make decisions about my book
- The Innkeeper is open!
- Then and now
- Finding my way
- Across the cafe table: at the beach
- My 7 links
- Salmonberry pancakes
- At the sea under the moon
- Lunar eclipse
- Carrying water
- Edison, Washington: the perfect tiny town
- This moment part 2
- Golden Glen Creamery
- This moment
- Big white ball
Facebook Like Box
Tagsadventure alternative energy aviation bathrooms beach Black Bottle blogging book Brian Durbin camping caribbean Caribbean food coffee connecting cooking cooking schools costa rica diana mccaulay dinghy experiential travel flying food Grantourismo hawaii HomeAway Holiday Rentals island japan Japanese food kauai kids Nicaragua off the grid Petit Byahaut photography restaurants road trip san juan islands Seattle seattle restaurants St. Vincent & the Grenadines sustainable travel travel travel memoirs Washington State writing
- Still a few seats left for tonight's Coyote Central Guest Chef Tuesday: BLACK BOTTLE http://t.co/tHZaYuwg Come support youth in the kitchen! 2012-10-09
- @racheljmac Thanks for the follow! I SO want to go to Zanzibar. And Ethiopia. Looking forward to following your stories. :) 2012-10-09
- @jonclinch Congrats on deciding to self-publish The Thief of Auschwitz. And thank you for leading the way! 2012-10-09
- Books, authors, Seattle! RT @RonCharles Amazon isn't the whole story: Feeling bookish in #Seattle http://t.co/Yt6kyXsQ 2012-10-09
- Just followed. RT @gatespoverty A 13 Year Old Mother in Tanzania Shares Her Story on Pinterest: http://t.co/8PyIbICP #DayoftheGirl 2012-10-09
- More updates...