With aviation on my mind lately, I was thrilled to find out last week was Women of Aviation Worldwide Week. Even though it’s been 101 years since the first woman, Raymonde de Laroche, earned a pilot’s license, women make up only 6% of pilots today. Only six percent, can you believe that? So, as a way to introduce women and girls to aviation, free flights [...]
1. Feeling great pleasure ordering a beer at a cafe in France when I wasn’t of legal drinking age, only to later learn my “biere sans alcool” was non-alcoholic.
2. Attempting not to be trampled in a throng of shoppers in a Beijing department store on a Sunday.
3. Waking up in a tent in the middle of the [...]
Last week, when I was writing the post about how I used to fly airplanes, I wanted to include some photos of a prop plane landing at Boeing Field so I drove to the north end of Runway 13R and, seriously, the first plane coming in to land was a twin prop, but I missed it because I was trying to social network [...]
When I was twenty, I headed to Europe with a backpack and my best friend in search of adventure. I enjoyed the museums immensely (really, I did) but after a couple of months spent admiring masterpieces of famous artists, even the Mona Lisa lost her appeal. My mind wandered as we strolled past yet another Vermeer or [...]
Receive new posts by email!
- Help me make decisions about my book
- The Innkeeper is open!
- Then and now
- Finding my way
- Across the cafe table: at the beach
- My 7 links
- Salmonberry pancakes
- At the sea under the moon
- Lunar eclipse
- Carrying water
- Edison, Washington: the perfect tiny town
- This moment part 2
- Golden Glen Creamery
- This moment
- Big white ball
Facebook Like Box
Tagsadventure alternative energy aviation bathrooms beach Black Bottle blogging book Brian Durbin camping caribbean Caribbean food coffee connecting cooking cooking schools costa rica diana mccaulay dinghy experiential travel flying food Grantourismo hawaii HomeAway Holiday Rentals island japan Japanese food kauai kids Nicaragua off the grid Petit Byahaut photography restaurants road trip san juan islands Seattle seattle restaurants St. Vincent & the Grenadines sustainable travel travel travel memoirs Washington State writing
- Still a few seats left for tonight's Coyote Central Guest Chef Tuesday: BLACK BOTTLE http://t.co/tHZaYuwg Come support youth in the kitchen! 2012-10-09
- @racheljmac Thanks for the follow! I SO want to go to Zanzibar. And Ethiopia. Looking forward to following your stories. :) 2012-10-09
- @jonclinch Congrats on deciding to self-publish The Thief of Auschwitz. And thank you for leading the way! 2012-10-09
- Books, authors, Seattle! RT @RonCharles Amazon isn't the whole story: Feeling bookish in #Seattle http://t.co/Yt6kyXsQ 2012-10-09
- Just followed. RT @gatespoverty A 13 Year Old Mother in Tanzania Shares Her Story on Pinterest: http://t.co/8PyIbICP #DayoftheGirl 2012-10-09
- More updates...