1. Feeling great pleasure ordering a beer at a cafe in France when I wasn’t of legal drinking age, only to later learn my “biere sans alcool” was non-alcoholic.
2. Attempting not to be trampled in a throng of shoppers in a Beijing department store on a Sunday.
3. Waking up in a tent in the middle of the [...]
My kids and I descended on the restaurant on our way to the dinghy. They pulled off their shoes and tossed them in the entry way to the kitchen. Remy went to look for the cat, Simon climbed into the favorite flowering bush. I introduced myself to the new arrivals, a couple just beginning their honeymoon, [...]
I cringed. It could only be me the voice from behind was calling. The last time a man jogged to catch up with me on my walk from the white house to our dinghy in Clare Valley, not the presence of my toddler riding on my shoulders nor my declaration of [...]
We spotted the Ford Ranger from the ferry.
Its turquoise color matched the sea.
The truck’s owner hurried toward us. “Good morning, you must be Brian and Nicole, and you are the children, and you, the brother!” Herb said. His wife, Ilene, hugged us.
“Wow, the truck is outfitted just like ours,” Brian said.
“Is that right?” asked Herb. “Shall [...]
The prep work and the dashi were finished so the chef instructor at the cooking school in Tokyo moved on to the main courses.
First up was Braised Meat and Vegetables, Japan’s take on beef stew, which used dashi for the broth.
We moved into the kitchen to start the teriyaki chicken stuffed with asparagus, which reminded me not to complain about the [...]
Receive new posts by email!
- Help me make decisions about my book
- The Innkeeper is open!
- Then and now
- Finding my way
- Across the cafe table: at the beach
- My 7 links
- Salmonberry pancakes
- At the sea under the moon
- Lunar eclipse
- Carrying water
- Edison, Washington: the perfect tiny town
- This moment part 2
- Golden Glen Creamery
- This moment
- Big white ball
Facebook Like Box
Tagsadventure alternative energy aviation bathrooms beach Black Bottle blogging book Brian Durbin camping caribbean Caribbean food coffee connecting cooking cooking schools costa rica diana mccaulay dinghy experiential travel flying food Grantourismo hawaii HomeAway Holiday Rentals island japan Japanese food kauai kids Nicaragua off the grid Petit Byahaut photography restaurants road trip san juan islands Seattle seattle restaurants St. Vincent & the Grenadines sustainable travel travel travel memoirs Washington State writing
- Still a few seats left for tonight's Coyote Central Guest Chef Tuesday: BLACK BOTTLE http://t.co/tHZaYuwg Come support youth in the kitchen! 2012-10-09
- @racheljmac Thanks for the follow! I SO want to go to Zanzibar. And Ethiopia. Looking forward to following your stories. :) 2012-10-09
- @jonclinch Congrats on deciding to self-publish The Thief of Auschwitz. And thank you for leading the way! 2012-10-09
- Books, authors, Seattle! RT @RonCharles Amazon isn't the whole story: Feeling bookish in #Seattle http://t.co/Yt6kyXsQ 2012-10-09
- Just followed. RT @gatespoverty A 13 Year Old Mother in Tanzania Shares Her Story on Pinterest: http://t.co/8PyIbICP #DayoftheGirl 2012-10-09
- More updates...